Types of data we collect and how we obtain it
We obtain information about you when you disclose it to us in the course of using our services, such as:
- your name and email address when you register a member account
- any profile data you share with us, including profile pictures, gender, marital status, interests, preferences, feedback, survey responses, etc.
- information shared with us when you contact us for assistance or support
- your billing information when you subscribe to any of our paid services and transaction records of payments made to or from you in relation to such services
- your marketing and communications preferences, which includes your preferences about receiving marketing from us, and the ways in which you prefer to be contacted
We collect contact information when you communicate with us through certain channels of communication, such as:
- your email address when you communicate with us through email
- your social media handle when you communicate with us by social media
We may also obtain information about you where it is publicly available, or where required or permitted by law.
How we use data
We only use your personal data where permitted by law.
Most commonly, we will use your personal data to perform a contract entered into with you, where it is necessary for our legitimate interests (or those of a third party) and your interests and fundamental rights do not override those interests, and/or where we need to comply with a legal obligation.
This includes the following general purposes:
- register you as a customer, including creating your user account
- providing support or assistance to you and responding to your queries
- processing and managing your payments, fees and charges, and collecting and recovering money owed to us, if you subscribe to our paid services
- providing you with marketing or other communications in accordance with your preferences
- responding to your messages by email, social media, or other channels of communication
- providing you with other products or services that you have purchased
- managing our relationship with you, such as notifying you about changes to our services, updates to the terms and conditions of any service, or asking you to leave a review or participate in a survey, participate in promotions
- administering and protecting our business and the services
We will only use your personal data for the purposes for which we collected it, unless required or permitted by law.
What personal data we collect and why
Like a lot of sites, this one uses Google Analytics with any data being collected sent to Google at 1600 Amphitheatre Parkway in Mountain View, California in the United States. We use this tool to better understand where our users are visiting from and how we can build a better travel blog around them.
If you don’t want your sessions on our site or others to be tracked then it’s a good idea to install the opt-out plugin which is available from https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout.
A cookie is a small amount of data, which often includes an anonymous unique identifier, that is sent to your browser from a website's computers and stored on your computer's hard drive. Cookies are required to use the MapTrotting service.
Embedded content from other websites
Articles on this site may include embedded content (e.g. videos from YouTube, images from SmugMug, articles from other blogs, etc.). Embedded content from other websites behaves in the exact same way as if the visitor has visited the other website.
Other Third party links
This website includes links to third party websites, plug-ins and applications. Clicking on those links or enabling those connections may allow third parties to collect or share data about you. We do not control these third party websites and cannot be responsible for their products and services, information, materials, and practices including security practices.
Who we share your data with
We take all reasonable measures to ensure that third parties with whom we collaborate protect your personal data. MapTrotting does not sell your personal data.
Your data is stored securely at a location in London, United Kingdom, in line with the practices of our hosting provider.
How long we retain your data
If you leave a comment, the comment and its metadata are retained indefinitely. This is so we can recognise and approve any follow-up comments automatically instead of holding them in a moderation queue.
What rights you have over your data
If you have an account on this site, you can request to receive an exported file of the personal data we hold about you, including any data you have provided to us. You can also request that we erase any personal data we hold about you.
This does not include any data we are obliged to keep for administrative, legal, or security purposes.